Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Introduction

Hi everyone,

My name is Ornit Avidar and this is my China–Israel blog.

Working and living in Hong Kong (HK) for four years, (2001-2005), as Commercial Attaché for the State of Israel, has enabled me to see China from within and without. HK opened my eyes to the opportunities for Israeli companies in/with China. Today after leaving my government position, and joining CIVC- China Israel Value Capital, a private Equity firm, which invests in Chinese companies that join venture with Israeli companies/technologies, http://www.civcfund.com/, I have the opportunity to continue bringing together these two great nations, continuing to promote Israeli technology in China and enjoying every minute of it. This relationship is very dear to my heart and that is why I decided to write this blog.

Sadly, until I came to HK in 2001 (very late, I know), I was completely unaware of China and its promise. Yes, I studied about China in the university (late 80's) and read some very interesting books about China and its culture, but they all related to Chinese history, especially the Cultural Revolution (not a pretty picture) and I could not know how it would affect my personal future and that of my country.

From the first day I set foot in HK, I began to understand and yes you can even say I had a revelation of the significance of China to Israel. As a diplomat I was lucky enough to be able to do something about it as well. (More about my experiences in HK, later on)

Beyond the great implication of the mutual relations between Israel and China (which deserves a chapter in itself), China as an emerging economic superpower has the ability of imposing new standards for the global markets and Israel's technology which has an enormous level of flexibility can compliment this effort. Collaboration is in both sides best interest.

In my blog I will be writing and discussing China-Israel relations on all its perspectives through my experiences in China, working as an Israeli, Woman and investor, dealing with cultural differences, and my efforts in getting Chinese and Israeli companies together.

No comments: