Sunday, April 15, 2007

First Passover without grandmother

This Passover (1rst-9th April) was the first without my grandmother. My grandmother died on Thursday 29th March, after she was hit by a car. She was an 87 year old wonderful woman that had a great impact on me and on my family.

It's very meaningful that my grandmother died just before Passover, since Passover so much symbolizes her.
First of all it is the holiday of freedom, the holiday that celebrates the people of Israel's transcending from slavery to freedom. After many years of repression in Egypt the Israelites forced their way out of slavery into freedom with all their power and God's might. This was my grandmother other than always taking care of us; one of the most important things for her was her freedom. She wanted to be free to do her thing, not to be bonded by other people's opinions and deeds. She always taught us, as well, that we have to be free in our doings and thoughts.

The other important characteristic of Passover is to be with family. That too was her legacy and she not only talked about it, but did all in her power to get us together and made sure we enjoy one another's company, be real friends and strengthen each other. She always got us together, all generation: my father and my aunt and there spouses are the best of friends; till today one of our best friends is my cousin and his wife and she also got her great grand children together, on her deathbed, they mentioned this very important legacy as there own as well.

So on the holiday of freedom and family, my dear grand mother died, so befitting and typical.

We shall always love and cherish her memory.

No comments: